How To Promote And Market A Payroll Service
(16 Low-Cost Ideas To Help Grow Your Sales)
By Glenn Fallavollita, President of SellMorePayroll.com & Drip Marketing, Inc.
- Word Count: 526
- Time To Read: 2.1 Minutes Based on 250 Words Per Minute
Marketing a payroll service does NOT have to be expensive to attract a new payroll, HCM, or timekeeping client; however, it is essential to stay in constant contact with your payroll service’s database of clients, prospects, and CPAs as you can ever time a sale (or referral).
Now here's the reason why: It is only a matter of time before someone experiences a level of frustration with their current payroll service.
3 Non-Negotiable Marketing Rules:
- Get someone’s attention.
- Educate someone on the things that make your payroll service unique and awesome.
- Provide someone a low-risk offer to help them take the next step in the buying process.
16 Marketing Ideas To Help Promote Your Payroll Service:
- Add a video to your website and e-mail marketing campaigns.
- Bundle an add-on service with another promotion.
- Buy a road sign billboard promoting your payroll service's logo, graphics, URL, and phone number.
- Conduct a client survey.
- Create a CPA Tax Season Survival Kit.
- Create a Get To Know Us Kit for your salespeople to use in the field.
- Offer a free trial for your payroll processing service or an employee time clock, i.e., XX-day free trial, XX-day money-back guarantee, etc.
- Give your existing marketing material a facelift.
- Install an e-mail drip marketing system (for your clients, prospects, and referral partners).
- Promote an add-on service via a free trial or special offer, i.e., free employee background check.
- Provide a gift card (for dinner, extra holiday money) to the clients who refer a new client your way.
- Provide free report downloads: How To Switch Payroll Service In Three Easy Steps, How To Avoid Payroll Tax Penalties, etc.
- Send each salesperson's list top 10 prospects and referral partners a lumpy mail campaign every 90-days.
- Invest in your SEO efforts.
- Sponsor a Shred Your Documents Day with a shredding company in conjunction with a local bank or credit union.
- Wrap your company car with your payroll service's logo, graphics, URL, and phone number.
Other Ideas To Help Market Your Payroll Service.
- Review your marketing brochures and website and ask yourself, “Does this make us look like an awesome and unique payroll service?”
- If your answer is no, go back and retool your marketing copy, images, and low-risk offers.
A Little About Your Marketing Copy/Messaging.
- When it comes to writing copy, less is more; therefore, limit the words used.
- Use engaging headlines and sub-headline to help a reader digest your message. Remember, you have about 1 to 2.5 seconds to capture someone’s attention.
Build Your Database Of Clients, Prospects, And Referral Partners.
- 50% to 60% of your sales success is directly related to the size and quality of your marketing databases. As I tell our payroll service clients and students, “Show me your marketing databases, and I will show you your sales future.”
- IMPORTANT: If a payroll service's sales leader doesn’t make it a priority to build a massive and high-quality e-mail database, his or her salespeople won’t make it a priority either.
Executive Summary: If you focus on the needs of your target audience, it will go a long way in helping someone learn more about your payroll service (and get you noticed when they are ready to hire a new payroll service or recommend your payroll service to someone they know).
Furthermore, you can use this information to help you create marketing messages that resonate with your target audience. Lastly, don't forget to make it a priority to build a database of clients, prospects, and referral partners.