What To Do When A Payroll Prospect
Says, "Call Me After The Holidays."
By Glenn Fallavollita, President of SellMorePayroll.com & Drip Marketing, Inc.
- Word Count: 354
- Time To Read: 1.4 Minutes Based On 250 Per Minute
December is when many payroll salespeople start hearing prospects say things like:
- "Just call me after the holidays."
- "My staff is busy right now, so we won't be making any payroll decisions until sometime next year."
- "We're going to wait until after the first of the year before we think about a new employee time clock system."
As you can imagine, this time of year presents a unique and difficult challenge for many salespeople.
Here Are Just A Few Responses To Consider:
- "With things being busy right now, let's try and schedule a quick lunch meeting on me to review our new _______ package/pricing before the new year starts. Are you free on either Thursday or Friday?"
- "I can relate to things being busy right now, but tell me, will anything change after the first of the year that will prevent you from starting then?"
- "I understand. What day after the first of the year would you like to meet?"
- "I hear what you said. By the way, if you switch payroll services now, we’ll give you 30 days free and free W-2s for 20XX. On top of that, you will save about X% by avoiding our 20XX price increase."
If A Prospect Still Says "No" Here Are Some Suggestions:
Here are a few suggestions for people who want to put things off until after the first of the year.
- Mail them a thank you card via snail mail.
- Schedule a follow-up call for the first week of the year.
- Add their e-mail address to your weekly e-mail drip marketing campaigns; this will keep your company's name in their mind's eye to help build trust, credibility, and brand recognition.
- Send them relevant information (educational information) about their industry versus send off a bunch of e-mails asking, "Are you ready to buy yet?"
Executive Summary: If a prospect is delaying their decision to buy from you (or meet), we recommend offering an alternative close. By doing so, you will most likely find the underlying cause of why they are not ready. Remember, people like "year-end deals” as it makes them feel good about getting more value.